Sunday 19 October 2008

Blue eyes and sunshine

Well, new blog posts are likely to be even more scarce in the future, as the handy internet connection we've been using at home, courtesy of some unknown neighbour, isn't working anymore. It suddenly disappeared a few weeks ago, and now I have to go to the Uni or (as now) to Mike's office to get on the Net. Cumbersome, but our finances won't allow an Interet connection for some time yet.

Mike has started his work as a lawyer and, as a direct result, is stressed, tired and almost depressed. He is still working at Coop for two more months, and that's our only source of income at the time - and our expenses now include rent for Mike's office. Which is about the same amount as the rent for our appartment. I've got a job interview in one week, but it's for an internship that wouldn't even pay for my part of the rent. However, it's the best offer I've had since I came here, and only my second interview so far in four months. So I'm ready to give it my best effort, and at least pretend like becoming a "documentalist" (=nice word for librarian) is what I've always wanted.

So, our financial situation at the moment is more than dark. The weather, however, has done it's best to keep us in a good mood. It's been unusually warm and pleasantly sunny the past few weeks - so warm that you could sit outside in a T-shirt, or even (like Mike today on our balkony) topless. That's unusual for mid-October, even here.. And I'm not complaining. Although in the past week, I've been staying at home as much as possible. That has nothing to do with the weather. Four days ago I collided with Mike, and in the meeting of his forehead and my cheekbone, his forehead won. I've been looking like an information poster about domestic violence all week - swollen and blue. I didn't want to start any rumours, so I stayed indoors.

This blog post sounds very negative, but it's not - every day brings joy as well as trouble. Mike is growing radishes on the balkony, and treats them like pets - talks to them, worries about them, even pets them when he thinks nobody is looking.. And looks so sweet while he's doing it :) I've been knitting a lot, and I love it and love the things I do. If I could just find a job, there wouldn't be much to complain about.

No comments: