Friday 13 June 2008

Creating a home

I'm probably not a very good blogger. The wish, or urge, to write appears randomly, sometimes seldom and sometimes more often. As with so many things, the less I have to do the more I write about it.
By now I've been living here little more than a week. The first few days were filled with shopping - extended trips to Ikea and other furniture stores. We haven't really bought that much, a bed, a closet, a metal basket-thingy on wheels for the bathroom. But buying a bed isn't just buying a bed. You have to buy a mattress too, and those inserts to go under it, and then wedecided to play it big and get new pillows as well. Now we still have to get a couple of sheets, we only have one and they do need to be washed every now and then. And I'm thinking new duvets might be a good idea. Not that there is anything wrong with the old ones, but by now we have two guest mattresses, two extra pillows.. But no extra duvets. Mike thinks we can just borrow some from his mother when the need arises. Which I hope it does, soon.
The apartment was a pleasant surprise. From what Mike had told me I was almost expecting a dump, but it's comfortable and roomy, with lots of light thanks to big windows. Sure, the walls have plenty of marks on them, as do the floors. The kitchen cabinets and bathroom fixtures were probably the latest thing in the 80s. But everything has been well kept, so it just looks a bit old-fashioned. And by now the 80s are already on the verge of being retro :) I'm working up the courage to go shopping for paint - I'd like to paint one wall of very room a different colour. I recently bought a book of patterns, and now I'm toying with the idea of creating a couple of murals. I'd love something Art Deco in the bedroom, it would suit the style of the rest of the room perfectly.
As I'm writing, Mike is in the process of installing our last lamp. I've been reminding him for days, and now he finally, grudgingly, agreed to take care of it. Would you believe he would actually rather be doing laundry?

No comments: