Monday 9 June 2008

Living in football hell

I'm sure there are a lot of people who are exited about Euro 2008. In fact, I've seen them. They are pretty much everywhere here in my beautiful new hometown, and they seem to be having a very good time. However, the Italians, the Dutch, the Portugese and the Czechs flooding our streets are on vacation. They are free to enjoy themselves and are in no hurry to get from point A to point B. For those of us trying to go about our daily lives it's quite a different matter.

I'm no football fan under the best of circumstances. I find it quite, well, boring, to be honest. In the interest of household happiness I've learned to live with the fact that my significant other can go crazy over a bunch of men chasing a ball. But even Mike isn't too happy about the frenzy we are living in right now. Probably has something to do with the fact that the entire old town is closed off, there is no way to cross it by any other means than by foot. No trams, no busses, no bikes. It makes the trip to work and to uni much longer and more cumbersome. He doesn't like it when things get in his way.

Still, the whole town is in a buzzing partymood, which can be catching. But when I think about the fact that it's Monday today, and Eur0 2008 started on Saturday, and we still have 3 more weeks before it's over.. Luckily, I can go home, and bury my head under the covers in our newly-bought bed and forget that the world outside even exists :)

No comments: