Friday 27 June 2008

Kissing Disease

Isn't it just typical? It's summer, warm and sunny.. What a time to catch a virus :P Mike has got mononucleosis, which means that I'll probably get it too, unless I've already got it and just haven't had any symptoms. He was really tired and depressed, and when his throat clogged up so bad he couldn't sleep at night I told him to go see a doctor, immediately. Last night he slept through most of the night, which was a relief - we were both getting a bit cranky from the lack of sleep (if he can't sleep it means I can't sleep - even when I went to another room I could hear him wheezing painfully). So, on top of everything else, we are now forbidden to kiss, just in (the very unlikely) case I haven't caught the virus yet. It would be great to have a thermometer - one of the first symptoms is a fever, according to the ever reliable Wikipedia.

So the excitement about the upcoming wedding on Saturday is now hampered by the fact that Mike is probably going to be weak and tired from the mono, and we both have to explain why we are keeping a respectful distance from all the customary cheek-to-cheek-kisses. Not that they should be contagious, but better safe than sorry. What scares me most is that mononucleosis seems to be quite a serious disease, it can last for weeks, and there isn't really anything you can do, except treat the symptoms. I'm just glad I got Mike to go to a doctor so early - he'd probably have waited until next week. It probably showed his weakened state that I got him to agree so quickly :)

No comments: